Mind the Gap Studios
Based in Lynnwood, WA
Welcome to Flappin' Jack's! Have a seat and the server will be right with you... Oh! You’re here about the short order cook position? Right this way! Flapjack Flipout is a rambunctious dexterity and memory race for 2-6 players. One player will draw and read out an order (like "1 Blueberry! 2 Chocolate!), followed by saying "Order In!" Then, you and your opponents need to grab a pancake as quickly as you can and place it on your griddle face down. Flip it over once to cook the other side and to see what kind of flapjack it is - but be careful not to drop it! Then take it off the griddle and store it face-down on the table. As soon as you think you can fill the order, ring that bell and flip only those flapjacks over to prove you cooked the right ones!
Flapjack Flipout was born from a quip from waiting for pancakes on a Father's Day. The idea started with "here's a chipboard griddle shape and here are some chipboard pancakes. Is this fun to play with?" And from that a game was born. After a couple of adjustments, Flapjack Flipout made its public prototype debut at GenCon in 2015. Flapjack Flipout was pitched and a few publishers showed enthusiastic interest but, after sitting on decision tables for many months, ultimately the game came back to head to crowdfunding and self-publishing. Flapjack Flipout was funded with the help of 200 people through Kickstarter in 2019 and was first available for purchase in July 2020.
- Real-time dexterity challenge
- memory compent
- a bell!
Kickstarter Commercial Vimeo
Gamplay video Vimeo
Team Mode Testing Vimeo
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Major Fun Award" Major Fun - https://www.majorfun.com/flapjack-flipout/
- "Flapjack Flipout is a challenging dexterity title for any player without experience flipping cardboard pancakes (read: everyone who hasn’t played this game before), but that’s part of the fun."
- William Herkewitz And Eric Yurko, Popular Mechanics "The Best New Boardgames 2021"
- "If you are looking for some silly fun that just about anyone who’s not a stick in the mud will enjoy, check out Flapjack Flipout."
- Tony Mastrangeli, Board Game Quest
- "Flapjack Flipout is just plain fun, from the flipping to the simultaneous gameplay."
- Naomi Laeuchli, Casual Game Revolution
- "We loved the interactive nature of this game. The pieces are unique and the concept is super fun."
- Meeples Abroad, Meeples Abroad Instagram
- "Overall, I think Flapjack Flipout is an absolute delight."
- Eric Yurko, What's Eric Playing?
- "Flapjack Flipout represents everything that's good about gaming. It brings a whole table of people together to share a wonderfully absurd task, and ends in smiles and laughs."
- Mike Mullins, game designer,
- "Easy to learn and consistently fun, Flapjack Flipout rewards dexterity and quick thinking. Flipping feels fantastic."
- Douglas Brinbury, Norwester Games,
Mind the Gap Studios does allow the contents of this game to be published through video broadcasting services only with direct written permission from Mind the Gap Studios. Check at the bottom of this page for contact information.
About Mind the Gap Studios
Mind the Gap Studios is an independent tabletop game design studio in Lynnwood, WA, with the goal of making at least one of every type of tabletop game and making those games fun and approachable.
More information on Mind the Gap Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Flapjack Flipout Credits